Friday, October 19, 2018

The Long and Winding Road

October is proving to be a a month full of surprises! Usually Spring is when I feel the most energized, like everything is new and full of unlimited possibilities. This year though, October and the beauty of Fall captured my heart and my imagination.  With having had such a busy summer, vacations, visiting old friends, making new ones and keeping everyone happy on the home front by the time October got here I was exhausted.  A much needed escape was at hand and so I took full advantage leaving everyone behind for the first time in a very long time.  Years ago I used to make a point of driving north in Ontario to take in the beautiful colours but since moving here, and it's been 10 years already, that tradition fell by the wayside.I had 3 days to myself, a new playlist on my phone and no real destination in mind.  I ended up in Nova Scotia the first night, stopping in Truro for a good night sleep.  After a slow and lazy awakening, I packed up and headed out for the day.  The colours and scenery were breath taking even though the day was overcast.  Have you ever noticed that the colours are more vibrant on an overcast day than on a sunny one? Passing by all the farms, cows out to pasture, tractors meandering across fields and people out doing what people do in the fall; raking leaves, decorating their doorsteps, visiting their neighbour at the mailbox probably talking about the weather, it was a peaceful drive.



I headed west on highway 101 passing by Windsor and then stopping off in Wolfville to check out the farmers market. Then on past Kentville, Berwick, Middleton, right on down along the coast to Digby.  The sun had popped out for a short time but being down there by the water was a little on the brisk side so I ventured into a few of the stores searching for accessories for my beach theme bedroom but nothing struck my fancy. After continuing down to Metaghan,  I turned around and headed back to Halifax for the night.  What should have been a four hour drive the next day from Halifax to St George turned into an 8 hour trip down every back road I could find.




After returning home from my mini vacation I received the sad news that Brooks Grandpa Bacher had passed away. She wanted so badly to go back for the funeral but did not want to drive by herself so I washed up my laundry, repacked my bag and before long we were on the highway again heading for Ontario.  Being such a quick and unexpected trip, Facebook helped me connect with family and a few great friends for a laugh filled visit at Kelseys for dinner and a couple drinks before having to drive back home the next morning!


CHEERS!!!!!
So that's my post for October...there will still be more happening, hopefully all good and maybe a few surprises thrown in to keep life exciting.  I will fill y'all in next month...here's to good times!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment